How To Ouija
A Practical guide everybody can use.
I had used a Ouija board only once, many years back. My sister-in-law and I settled into the parlor of our old home on 9th street with a bottle of red wine and some candles. We spent a pleasant evening summoning who we thought was a friend of my husbands, killed in a plane crash decades earlier. Asking many questions to verify his identity, we received answers that seemed benign and in line with what we thought dying in an airplane crash would be like. My now husband wouldn’t have anything to do with it. After we had packed up for the evening, we went in to relay our adventures with the ‘other side’. He listened politely and quietly and we told him about everything. When we were done, he sat back and said “That’s not Eric”. We had spent the better part of the evening believing we were communing with the dead, and we had been duped. I never opened the box again until around 2010.
My ‘Other Mother’ girlfriend invited me to a Ouija party at a little boutique store. I call her my ‘Other Mother’ because shes a witchy and blissful spirit, finely entrenched in the other side. Always has been. She’s family now-her daughter is marrying my son. Both her daughter and my son are on my paranormal team. Her daughter is exceptionally tuned in, and sessions with either of them are great fun. It was right around Halloween. They said they would teach us how to use a board properly. It was a fun night. Other like-minded adventurers listened to the proper way to open and close a spirit board. We made our own boards out of paper that evening. And yes, they worked. Fear lifted with a still healthy dose of skepticism and off we went, little paper boards in tow. The prayers I use to open and close the Ouija Board are the same I learned that night. Every session, every time.
To the North we ask for Archangel Metatron to protect us. God’s record-keeper and scribe. Set your boundary and keep evil from our door. Thought Co. describes Metatron as “a powerful angel who teaches people how to use their spiritual power for good”. As a marker of boundaries, we think he helps keep the demons out. He appears as flashes of bright white light and is said to smell like strong herbs, chilis or peppercorn.
To the South we pray for Archangel Michael. Defeator of Satan. You may see shimmers of blue, like from a camera flashbulb when Michael is around. You may feel unusually warm. And he likes to drop feathers.
To The East we pray for Archangel Raphael. God’s healer. Help our mind, spirit and body. He can mend a broken heart and also bring us love. You may experience serendipitous events. Tinglings, emerald green flashes, songs and pictures when he is around.
To the West, we ask for Gabriel. Angel of revelation, revealer and prophet. You may see white or copper light when Gabriel is near. Gabriel is the angel who revealed to Mary that she would bear a child.
To the North we ask for Archangel Metatron to protect us. God’s record-keeper and scribe. Set your boundary and keep evil from our door.
To the South we pray for Archangel Michael. Defeator of Satan.
To The East we pray for Archangel Raphael. God’s healer.
To the West, we ask for Gabriel. Angel of revelation, revealer and prophet.
(Light your candle)
As we light this candle,
May the light of God surround us,
May the power of God protect us,
May the mind of God guide us,
The basic rules we use aren’t the same rules you see in the movies, but here they are:
- We select participants carefully. This isn’t something we speak out loud. Just something we do. If someone is ill, or drunk, or in a bad spot in their lives, grieving or just a negative person in general, the board doesn’t come out. You don’t want to invite negative energy in. And you definitely don’t want to expose emotionally fragile participants to something that may not leave easily.
- We treat the board with respect. Yes, we have fun, and yes we drink, but we are careful about whom we are speaking with and we ask questions only the dearly departed would know.
- We shut the board down immediately when negative spirits enter. They do come. Though we don’t hear from them often. The energy in the room changes. It almost feels at times like more than one spirit is fighting over the planchette. We agree to break the circle and we all let go at the same time. We warn the spirit to exit, and ask for our guards and angels protection. Depending on the seriousness, we may give the session another chance. Sometimes we close the board and just put it away for the evening.
- We don’t summon dead relatives unless we need them. This is just something we’ve learned over the years. Spirits that want to talk will stop by. They always surprise you. The newly departed can be confused, angry and sad if they left suddenly. And those that need to speak with them are grieving too much to be objective.
- We record sessions or write important information down. Since your hands shouldn’t break the circle, this can be tricky. Things relayed may not make sense or have importance at the time. Trust me, you’ll be glad you did this. And please, don’t ask for the winning lottery numbers. You’ll get them and they never work. I think their new vibration is far beyond material things. Unless you are trying to fund a heart transplant or something critical.
The Ouija Board is now over 125 years old and sold in every country in the world. Thought a novelty, our personal board was given to my husband as a gift in the 70’s. Our parents picked them up at Toys R Us, right next to Scrabble and Monopoly. Thanks to the magic of Hollywood, they are now feared as a demon-summoning portal to hell. There may be some truth to that fear, as results lie in the intention of the user. Go forth with reverence. #HonorTheDead
Greg, Casey and Calla Saumure, investigate paranormal events in and around Northern California. We love to photograph, film, fly and write about our experiences in ghost travel. We focus on the history and restoration efforts of haunted locations. We always open and close with prayer, ask for spirit permission and we never provoke. “We do this as a family, and we do it in light.” You can reach Casey at (916)759-7880 or E-mail us with questions email@example.com.
You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMlmKEGu64A30nGpwYHA7A